Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Learning to Fly

I'm working on something that may or may not make it here, but then I stumbled on this wonderful article from Brian Clark of Copyblogger and had to post this. 

Here it is: 10 Steps to Becoming a Better Writer.

As a kid I thought you either did things well or you didn't. Some things I could do very easily without knowing how I had ever learned them. Other things not so much. I never considered that I could perfect a skill I didn't already have, lacking the confidence to fail on the way to succeeding.

One of the things I admired about Frank was his ability to throw himself headlong into activities about which he knew nothing. In the last year of his life he was simultaneously studying for both a real estate and a pilot's license. I'd come home from work and he'd be at the computer, poring over manuals, drawing diagrams of airflow over wings, and calculating lift. 

He had a marvelously impractical nature which sometimes drove the compulsive planner in me nuts. I intend to carry forward with some of his carefree attitude, because the risk-free life might be safe, but boy is it boring!

No comments:

Post a Comment